The Nyanza Sikh community used to gather for their weekly prayers in the Railway Quarters ‘Railway Landhian’. On 28th December 1912 they pledged to build a new permanent Gurudwara, as they would have to leave the Railway Landhian they were occupying anytime.
On 6th January 1913, the first Diwan for fund raising was held during which nearly all Nyanza Sikhs were present and a subscriptions list was opened. A handsome amount of Rupees 3,500 was raised. Later on, a funding trip was made to Yala to raise more funds.
Originally, the plan was to erect a temporary structure made of wood and iron sheets but subsequently it was considered that a permanent structure built in cement and concrete will obtain better terms from the Government and will be a lasting structure. An application was made to the authorities for suitable plots and finally the lands office granted permission for two plots.
On 21st December 1913, the Nyanza Sikhs in Kisumu gathered early morning for an important function one that would cement their roots in the lakeshore town.
It was to lay the foundation stone of the ‘New Gurudwara’. Sardar Attar Singh, a Permanent Way Inspector from Mackinnon Station, performed the foundation laying ceremony.